Module 11
Matisse and Picasso
An art collector by the name of Gertrude Stein arranged for Matisse and Picasso to meet.Little did she know that them meeting would influence the entire dynamic of modern art. Matisse and Piccaso were complete opposites; Matisse being more structured and organized with his thoughts and Picasso being more impulsive. Though their personalities were different both artist sough to influence and push boundaries of modern art. At first they disliked each other's work but quickly challenged and motivated each other, which helped bring out the best in both artist. They fed off of each other for technique, color, and concept to create their pieces. I chose this video because I'm more familiar with Pablo Picasso, but never really knew much about him. I never knew how much of an influence Matisse was on his work.
Expressionism
Expressionism was a form of modern art originiating in Germany. Art started to become more personal because the emotional state of the artist was displayed within their work, to impose the artist’s sensibility to how they interpreted the world. More intense dark colors were used to help display this form of art. Edvard Munch was an important sourse of inspiration for this movement. His colorful and emotionally infused works of art opened up new possibilities for self-analyzing. His famous painting The Scream expresses the emotion of a person alone in their own anguish and anxiety. I questioned why should the artist put so much effort into recreating the look of things, when a machine could do a better job at the click of a button? Then I realized that more and more, painters sought ways to show what the camera couldn't, to depict not just what we experience, but the way we experience it.
An art collector by the name of Gertrude Stein arranged for Matisse and Picasso to meet.Little did she know that them meeting would influence the entire dynamic of modern art. Matisse and Piccaso were complete opposites; Matisse being more structured and organized with his thoughts and Picasso being more impulsive. Though their personalities were different both artist sough to influence and push boundaries of modern art. At first they disliked each other's work but quickly challenged and motivated each other, which helped bring out the best in both artist. They fed off of each other for technique, color, and concept to create their pieces. I chose this video because I'm more familiar with Pablo Picasso, but never really knew much about him. I never knew how much of an influence Matisse was on his work.
Expressionism
Expressionism was a form of modern art originiating in Germany. Art started to become more personal because the emotional state of the artist was displayed within their work, to impose the artist’s sensibility to how they interpreted the world. More intense dark colors were used to help display this form of art. Edvard Munch was an important sourse of inspiration for this movement. His colorful and emotionally infused works of art opened up new possibilities for self-analyzing. His famous painting The Scream expresses the emotion of a person alone in their own anguish and anxiety. I questioned why should the artist put so much effort into recreating the look of things, when a machine could do a better job at the click of a button? Then I realized that more and more, painters sought ways to show what the camera couldn't, to depict not just what we experience, but the way we experience it.
Comments
Post a Comment