The Met Visit

Aliyah Jackson 
FUNDAMENTALS OF ART INQUIRY 
Project #2  
A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 
   First, I want to express my experience examining the 'Delirious: Art at the Limits" exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Divided into four sections, vertigo, excess, nonsense, and twisted, Delirious explores and embraces the feelings of irrationality among people around the world, and I would say as I moved through the exhibit the works of art definitely became more bazaar. But overall I enjoyed it and would recommend anyone who is in to dark and avante garde art to visit it.  
   Ana Mendieta, Untitled (Glass on Body Imprints-Face' (1972), made an impression on me because it was so out of the ordinary, nothing I've ever seen before.  For these photographs, Mendieta presses her face hard onto a square sheet of glass, changing the appearance of her facial features. She took a turn on art by using her body to tell a story instead of using the traditional components of art.  
 Untitled (Glass on Body Imprints-Face by Ana Mendieta (1972) 
   
   Bruce Nauman has been known to create art with neon signs, which are said to be iconic. They are also one of the most effective ways of communicating his problems with society. In this piece Human Nature/Life Death (1983), words such as human, nature, life, animal, and care flicker in contrast with their opposites such as like pain, death, and doesn’t care. It is almost like he is trying to guilt trip us into being better people. It's easy to just past this piece with the message going over your head, but that’s actually what made me really analyze to try to figure out the message the artist was trying to display.  
Bruce Nauman Human Nature/Life Death (1983) 

B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 
  I felt a connection with The Jazzmen by Jacques Villeglé reminded me of posters I see in the train stations around NYC, like street art. I don't think I'll live anywhere else besides NYC so I was brought back to the times I felt home sick while at school.  
                                                  The Jazzmen by Jacques Villeglé                      

  
  Attorney Street by Martin Wong, is another piece of art that reminded me of home with the graffiti-filled handball court on Attorney Street on the Lower East Side. The colors used in the painting set the mood of a dreary, claustrophobic city in the middle of the night. 
                                               Attorney Street by Martin Wong 

C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?   I would like to know the reasoning behind the The Jazzmen. For example, what made him think of using the technique he did for his artwork. 

  I would like to know more about Fixed/Variable (1972) by Jennifer Bartlett. I just feel like it looks like a lot of mazes next to each other but I'm not really sure of the meaning or representation. 
  
                                                       Fixed/Variable by Jennifer Bartlett (1972) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 11

Video Review

Mask making